Friday, October 16, 2009

Conclusion to Day 1

Though the night is not officially over, I'd have to say the temptation of logging onto Facebook ends now. I have a ton of homework to do, and I really am going to get it done tonight. However, I have a few thoughts about the first day without my medium of choice.

(OH MY GOODNESS. I just heard someone in the hall scream, "Guys! Look at this picture I'm tagged in!" I was never aware of this Facebook invasion before this assignment.)

Anyway, I've realized that my reliance on Facebook is not actually because I need to be accessing information 24/7. I actually find pleasure in disconnecting myself with the world, not answering phone calls, and curling up with a good book. My mom even gets frustrated with me because I never have any "good gossip" about my friends. I've never been the prying type; if someone wants to confide in me any facts about their lives, I'll listen, but I'm generally a shy person. My addiction to Facebook is more out of habit, procrastination, and ease (as I've said before, it's on my Favorites; I never even have to type the URL in.) In fact, when I visited my boyfriend over the summer, I felt no need to go on my computer or even charge my phone, because for that week, we were hanging out. If something proves more important, I can do without most of my communication technology. Could this be true of many people who think they truly need something? That if the ease of accessing different media was taken away, we wouldn't necessarily miss it? (Accessing Facebook with just a click, for example. It takes much more thought for me to type in the URL, as I realize what I'm doing; in turn, it makes it much easier to refrain from visiting the site at all) Facebook is great for keeping in touch, but sometimes I need some good "me" time, and this weekend is the perfect weekend for it. Now off to complete that homework I was talking about...

2 comments:

  1. I love "me" time. I'm kind of being deprived of it now because a good "me" time for me is good music on the ipod, a good book, and a warm blanket curled up on my bed. Good luck with your homework and I'm glad you're getting the "me" time that we all cherish so much! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lolz, I would have to say that my scenario is slightly different. Since my girlfriend is still in her senior year in high school and because I'm away at college, I use Facebook as a mechanism to communicate with her.

    As bad as that is, I still have my cell phone and txting is just as good :P Go enjoy that "me" time and I'll be enjoying the destruction of inferior players on Call of Duty...

    ReplyDelete