The article, "Cellphones, Texts and Lovers" was a very interesting read, and not at all surprising in today's era. Many people I know use texting to make plans, have deep conversations, and talk about homework assignments; why should pursuing love interests be any different? Personally, I prefer the "old-fashioned" way of dating - that is, actually dating. However, for people whose interest are, well, different, texting is the perfect way to get what they need...
The reason texting for romance could be such a phenomenon is that there's no real fear in rejection. Sure, when you see that text that says, "No thanks, not tonight," your cheeks may burn for a few seconds. But really, the person who just rejected you isn't there in person; they can't see your face as you ask for their company, and you don't have to look into their eyes as you wait for a response. No, texting is as simple as typing, pressing send, and occupying yourself with other activities (that could be anything) until the next text comes. It makes everything impersonal, and people find safety in that. It's interesting how texting has changed people socially. Even I rarely call people anymore if I think my questions could be answered sufficiently through text messaging. I can do homework and text, watch my favorite TV show and text - basically multitask. With phone conversations, all your attention has to be focused on one thing. Not to say that's a bad thing. We have lost this sense of focus, where phone conversations are the only thing of importance in that 5 minutes. That's what I mean when I say texting has changed us socially. We can do virtually anything and keep up a conversation, just making our lives even more rushed. Romance and texting doesn't quite seem to mix, though; the article doesn't really talk about romance, but more about lust. Romance should be saved for personal, intimate courtings, while lust can remain in the impersonal text messages the article mentions.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment