Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Final Post

I've been reading the book, "In Cold Blood" for class, and I came across a line I found very interesting:

"Or we'd go to the Cree-Mee - that's a drive-in - and sit in the car, order a Coke, listen to the radio. The radio was always playing; we didn't have anything to say ourselves."

I immediately noticed that it said the radio was always playing. It's interesting to think about how media is so prevalent in our lives, whether we realize it or not. Often times, the TV is on for background noise, and we take in more than we know. People walk the halls with their iPods on all the time. Movies are an every weekend occurrence for many teenagers. MTV shows are quoted by college kids everywhere; whether or not they're making fun of the shows doesn't matter if the shows made that big of an impact on their memories. Facebook and Myspace broadcast an abundance of personal information to who-knows-where.

Because it is so much a part of our lives, it's a perfect way for capitalism to take hold. One corporation can own several stations on both TV and radio, and products are consistently placed throughout movies and television shows (supposedly casually). We cannot escape advertisements because we cannot escape media.

Whether we like it or not, media has become integrated into our lives, and there's no way to get rid of it (unless you follow Christopher McCandless from Into the Wild and disconnect yourself from the world completely :P)

P.S. I'm in class until after noon tomorrow, so I have to post all these now for the sake of my assignment being on time!


No comments:

Post a Comment