Thursday, November 5, 2009

Facebook for Information

Today, while taking a break from homework and browsing Facebook, I came across a post by my aunt asking, "So are there any reasons I shouldn't have my kids get the H1N1 shot?" Many people commented giving their input, as did I. I thought nothing of it until I realized that my aunt simply had to post a question and gain numerous responses within an hour; how awesome is that? My aunt got input from those she cares about, and it was much easier than having to take the time to call individual people or even schedule an appointment with a doctor (though the expertise could be beneficial). She was able to access different opinions and information very quickly, something she couldn't have done so easily just a few years ago.

This reminds me of Meyrowitz and his thoughts on the Situation Theory. We are able to change our situations without physically moving. My aunt changed her position from one of curiosity to one of knowledge (whether the knowledge is inaccurate is irrelevant) by simply typing and posting. In a way, her post changed many roles. I went from niece to medical advisor, just as she went from aunt to "patient." And we only became adviors through being able to access information through websites, videos, and the news; it's a continuous cycle of accessing information. I've never realized how media can change behavior or equalize roles before I really thought about it; generally, nieces would go to their aunts for advice, and aunts go to their doctors for medical advice. With just one post on Facebook, these roles were changed.


P.S. Here are the kids (my cousins) in question! I absolutely adore them :)


No comments:

Post a Comment