Theme 1: The evolution of the idea of the media audience from mass to "the long tail" and the tendency to cluster with like-minded individuals.
- Article: "The Long Tail"
As I read through the article, I realized how important recommendations are to me when I'm buying something; whether from a friend, Amazon, or Pandora, I always give those recommendations merit. I tend to have the same interests as my friends, especially in musical preference. Though there is always some variation, my friends and I always exchange songs and new artists we've come across. It's as if the web can do this for me; I am becoming "friends" with people across the country with similar interests as me, but I almost view the actual websites - Pandora or Amazon - as my friends for recommending new things to me. Recommendations and "clustering" are definitely effective ways to sell music, movies, books, video games, or anything, really. It's beneficial for the artists who would probably not have been known to certain consumers because they get new business. It's beneficial for consumers because they can find new products that fit their true tastes, and not just the tastes that have been set by mass marketing. It's even beneficial for the companies selling the products. They are still selling the hits, probably making a good profit off of that, but they are also able to sell more products to a large audience. It's very interesting that the internet has made this all possible. It's hard to think about finding new music to listen to without the recommendations of Pandora or find new books to read without Amazon!
- Old Media: Advertising
- Theory: Winston
Also, think of the work required to create these media that can truly embrace the long tail. They had to have been built up over time, especially sites like Pandora. In reading the article about Pandora, every single song is broken down and analyzed. That is a ridiculous feat. New media are not revolutions, but evolutions, and Winston's idea applies to the new media discussed in this post.

No comments:
Post a Comment